The Church of the Holy Cross serves a Catholic parish of 200 families within the Archdiocese of Indianapolis. Located on the near eastside of Indianapolis, Holy Cross Parish was founded by Irish immigrants in 1895. The current church, erected in 1922, stands on the corner of Oriental and Ohio streets, and is a prominent and beautiful neighborhood landmark, with a bell tower soaring 136 feet over the neighborhood.
This monument of faith reflects a strong Catholic presence on the east side and still serves as a beacon of hope in the neighborhood. In the last few decades, Holy Cross has seen its mission expand through such ministries as providing over 500 meals for neighborhood families at Thanksgiving and Christmas, meeting with inmates at the Indiana Women’s Prison for Bible study and faith sharing, supporting the conference of the St. Vincent de Paul Society to provide referrals for clothing and furniture, having a parish Nurse on staff to promote health awareness and comfort to the sick, making food deliveries to area homebound, and offering companionship to residents at nearby low income apartments.
The parish offers a faith formation program for parishioners of all ages which includes sacramental preparation, children’s religious educations, Scripture study, faith sharing, retreats and missions, and seasonal programs.
Holy Cross Parish is also the site of Holy Cross Central School, serving the parishes of Holy Cross, St. Mary, and SS. Peter and Paul. Founded in 1896, the PreK-8 school has provided parochial education to generations of center city students, and currently educates 202 children in a new facility completed in 2001.
Mission Statement: The Church of the Holy Cross is a Catholic community that proclaims our belief in the mission of Jesus Christ. We seek to serve our parish and neighborhood communities. We welcome all to share in our worship and journey.